Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

Question: Shipping a Fursuit

Started by AgentElrond, 15.07.2014, 22:06:35

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentElrond

Hallo,

This is my first time coming to Eurofurence (I am in the US) and I am really looking forward to it! I really want to bring my fursuit, and ordinarily I would just bring an extra suitcase, but since I will be traveling in the UK in the two weeks prior to the con, I really don't want to have to deal with the extra fees/hassle of dragging another piece of luggage around.

Now, I have a friend in the Netherlands who might be able to bring my suit to EF for me, if I can only ship it to her ahead of time. I've worked out the logistics of getting it to her from the US, but I was wondering about shipping it back to myself.

Is there a way for me to calculate the shipping fees from Germany to the US (via, say Deutsche Post?) Also, does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Is it a very terrible idea? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Vielen Dank!

EDIT: Whoops! I meant to post this in the Fursuiters forum. Too many tabs open and I got lost. So sorry!

Raider

Take a look at http://www.dhl.de/en/paket/pakete-versenden/weltweit-versenden/paket.html (the price list did not display for me using Firefox...)
The US seem to be in Zone 3, so you can ship a 120x60x60 box for 94€.

silverfoxwolf

Depending on the airline intercontinental services often have a two piece allowance and hand luggage too. Check with your airline first before sending through the post.
More is more.

Cheetah

Be aware that your suit will have to go through customs, and there's a greater than zero chance it gets stuck - and that you might have to pay import duties (19% value added tax).

http://deutschlandfuerdummies.blogspot.de/2007/07/customs-taxes.html
yours,

Cheetah

AgentElrond

Thanks for all the help, folks!

After some wrangling I've managed to find a way to transport the fursuit with me in my baggage, so I won't have to ship it after all! But thanks again for the info—perhaps it will be useful to someone else?